Automation can save you hours, so that you can get back to the important task of creating. I used to answer every email and take every phone call until I realised how much time I was wasting answering the same set of questions. There are ways that you can use automation in your own business and career.
We can often feel like we need to do everything at the start of our career. Each personal email feels like fan letter and we want to reply in the best way that we can. The danger is that you end up spending all of your time answering email, or performing admin tasks, rather than creating work to bring you in an income. I understand this predicament, as it was how I ran my business at the beginning and it was exhausting.
In the podcast I talk about ways that you can automate your own business or career. It doesn’t have to cost you hundreds in software, and you don’t need to be tech-savy to set it up.
Knowing what to automate is half the battle won. You don’t want to come across sounding like a robot, but you also don’t want to spend all of your working days answering the same questions.
Identifying what to automate
Start by answering these set of questions first. They should help you to identify what to automate.
- Which tasks do you do everyday?
- How do you interact with clients and customers? Is it in person, on the telephone or via email?
- What are the frequently asked questions that you repeatedly find yourself answering?
- What action do you ask your audience to take on your website? (A tip here: it should only be one!)
- Once people take action on your website, what do you get them to do? Is it call you, book a ticket, attend an exhibition or sign up to a mailing list?
- Do you have a way of keeping in touch with warm leads– people who are interested in your work?
Take a look at your answers. Which elements do you think you could automate? Where do you think you could start collecting email addresses? What will you do with those email addresses when you get them?
Automation shouldn’t become a headache. It is there to assist you and free-up time so that you can get back to what you enjoy.
Resources for automation
These are some automation resources that you can use. I am not affiliated with them, and if you know of others please do get in touch so I can share them. Philiy@creativewomeninternational.com
These other articles can help you build your business and career.